Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Wall Art DIY

Today I have another super simple DIY to share. It's pretty easy, but I do have a few tips that might be helpful if you want to try this out yourself. If you couldn't tell already, I'm pretty obsessed with books so I used reading related quotes, but you can use anything that suits your fancy.

Here's what you'll need:
  • Letter stencils
  • sponge brush
  • small brush
  • acrylic paints (color for the background and black for the letters)
  • canvas
  • tape, polka dot dobber, or other stamp for the background

First, I painted a background pattern in a color. For the first canvas I used a round sponge dobber to make a polka dot pattern. For the second I used tape to create stripes. You can play around with this and make different backgrounds, like ombre, or solid colors. 



Next you'll use the letter stencils to create whatever quote or message you want. I used a quote by Lemony Snicket and some lyrics from a Smith's song for mine. I have a third canvas that I'm going to do as well and I'll be using the quote by Tyrion Lannister, "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge." This step is pretty self explanatory but here's a few tips:


  • I used a typewriter font so that any smudging wouldn't look too out of place. I like to think it adds more character... or shows I'm not very good at stenciling.
  • Make sure each letter dries before you start on the next one. It takes a bit more time but I think it's worth it, and luckily acrylic paint dries pretty quickly.
  • Less is more when it comes to paint. You don't want to use too much paint for the letters because then it seeps underneath the stencil and smudges.
  • Plan out approximately how much room the words will take up. You don't want to run out of space midway through a word. 
  • I used both a sponge brush and a small paintbrush for the letters and thought they worked equally as well. They both led to a bit of paint seepage but that might be unavoidable. 

And there you go! If any of you decide to make one yourselves, I'd love to see a photo or link!

No comments:

Post a Comment