Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sherlock Silhouette DIY

I'm trying to go through and whittle down my craft stash a bit and decided to share a DIY project I did this afternoon. This is a quick, simple project and super cheap, which is always a plus!

Here's what you'll need:
pencil
wooden plaque (You can pick these up at any craft store)
black acrylic paint
paintbrushes, small and medium thickness
image you want to use as a silhouette
scissors 


First you'll want to cut out the image you are using. If there are lots of nooks and crannies, an Xacto knife might be a little easier to use. I chose Sherlock since I am putting this guy near some bookshelves. I found the image just by searching "Sherlock Holmes silhouette" on Google, but you can use anything you'd like. Pet portraits would be super adorable! Keep in mind, you may need to size the image to fit onto your plaque.


Next, center the image on the plaque and trace it onto the plaque using the pencil. 



You'll want to use the smaller paintbrush to paint the outline and the larger paintbrush to fill in the remaining space. Also, for the little knot on the top of his hat, I just painted that on rather than trying to cut it out and trace with the paper. I recommend letting the first coat dry and then going over with a second coat of paint.  That way, it's nice and solid to cover any pencil marks. And, there you go! Easy peasy, and you've got a nice piece of decor for your wall. I have another one of these plaques laying around somewhere and I'm going to make one of Nancy Drew once I find it. Who would you choose to create a silhouette of? Any favorite literary characters?

No comments:

Post a Comment