Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sew Similar #1

Being able to sew my own clothing is probably one of my biggest goals. I love the thought of being able to have clothing that fits perfectly and looks exactly how I want. It can often be more cost effective than purchasing clothes off the rack. It's also the easiest way to obtain your dream wardrobe! 

Mena Trott had a wonderful site called The Sew Weekly that was basically a great big sew-a-long with a weekly theme. Unfortunately, it is no longer being updated. You can, however, still go through the archives and read about the successes and blunders of the contributors to the site. I loved that there was a variety of skill levels and that posters would be honest about where they thought they excelled and maybe didn't do so well. It seemed like a fun, supportive community. I wish I hadn't found it too late!


One of my favorite features on the site was, Make This Look. They would take an article of clothing from a retailer, such as, ModCloth or Anthropologie, and suggest a pattern and fabric to create the look yourself. I love this idea, especially since I find that most everything these stores offer are well out of my price range. Looking at ready to wear clothing is a great way to find inspiration for your own projects, so, I thought I would continue this tradition with Sew Similar! 




Sew Similar #1

Dress Pattern Fabric Hat Sandals Belt
First up, is an adorable sailboat print dress from Ruche. They are offering the dress for $42.99. The total cost for the handmade dress, plus, a pair of shoes, belt, and hat: $44.44. Keep in mind, prices are not including notions or shipping, and the amount of fabric needed may fluctuate depending on your size. Still, pretty great savings if you ask me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment